Tuesday 2 February 2016

Guest Interview with Katherine Kingston #FlavoursofSage #Romance #NaughtyLiterati


The business ones
Please give us a short introduction about yourself
I’ve been writing for about 30 years under a couple of different pseudonyms. For most of the 1990s I was a regular contributor to several magazines, but decided to try my first novel when I was invited to write for Ellora’s Cave early in 2000. I was stunned and thrilled when they bought that first novel and then a number of others.  Unfortunately, due to some well-publicized circumstances, I’ve since pulled all of my books from EC and have begun to reissue them myself.  I also write with a group called The Naughty Literati. We’ve put out six anthologies so far, with another on the way and two more in the planning stages.
What genre(s) do you write in and why?
I write sensual and erotic romance in a variety of genres: contemporary, historical, paranormal and futuristic.
Tell us about your latest release
Actually there are two. Suburban Dominants #1, Dominant Boys of Summer, is a short contemporary menage/BDSM story. This was originally released by EC almost ten years ago now. I’ve rewritten it to remove some of the language I never liked and update a few things. Quick Blurb: Julie is in love with Dave. She’s sure of that. But if he really is the man for her, why is her sexual response to him so tepid? She’s afraid she’s frigid, and Dave deserves better than that. Dave’s best friend Nick guesses at a different answer and proposes a way to test out his theory.
On January 6, the Naughty Literati released the anthology Naughty Chances, a collection of winter stories. My story, Sophie’s Christmas Gargoyle is a paranormal romance. Quick blurb: When Sophie helps rescue a battered woman, she gets more than one surprise from the woman’s other self-appointed protector. 
Do you need a special setting to write in or do you have a ceremony to get you in the mood? What does it look like?
The only real ceremony is to be sure that I have a cup of coffee beside me in the morning or a glass of water in the afternoon. I tend to drink while I write.  In the evening I might even have a glass of wine beside the computer.
Describe your feelings when you learnt that your first book was accepted for publication
I think I got up from my desk when I read the email and let out a loud hoot.  Then I started jumping up and down and had to run and tell my husband.  I’d already had a lot of short stories accepted by various magazines at that point, but a novel was a big, scary venture, so it was thrilling to have it accepted for publication.
Has the release of your first book changed anything in your personal life? If so, what?
No, not really. I’m an introvert and have a very small circle of close friends. They were thrilled for me. Nobody else cared much one way or the other.  About the only thing it did was motivate me to keep writing.
Where do you find inspiration?
Everywhere! Watching other people, reading, movies, TV, even song lyrics.
Who is your favourite character and why?
It’s almost always the main characters I’m currently writing about. If I can’t fall in love with and adore the characters I’m creating, readers won’t either, so I always make them lovable and intriguing people—not perfect, but flawed in interesting ways.


The nosy ones
How much of the real “you” is in your stories?
All I have to work with as an author is what’s in my head, either through my life experience, reading, other media, or just imagination, so in that sense, it’s all “me.” My husband has accused me of having a head full of sex and violence, and there is lots of that in there, but there are plenty of other things as well: interesting people, odd ideas, fantastic dreams and imaginary journeys, etc.
Who is your least favourite of the characters you’ve written? Why?
In the next book in the Suburban Dominants story, Nick’s Lady, which should release in a month or so, there’s an ex who stalks my heroine Andrea and creates a very embarrassing scene for her at her place of employment.
The steamiest scene from your books
There are lots of them!  But in Dominant Boys of Summer, there’s a climactic scene involving Julie, Dave, and Nick that made me sweat when I was writing it and still makes me hot when I go back and re-read or edit it.
Favourite comfort food?
Dark chocolate and peppermint bark


The fast ones
Favourite colour? Purple
Favourite pet? My first and only dog.
Dog or cat? Dog
Coffee or tea? Coffee
Quickie or candles? Both!
Hunky or chunky? Um… Can I have lean and maybe a little mean?
Suit & tie or jeans & boots? Suit & tie
Walk in the park or chat over cocktails?  Either, as long as it’s with the right person. 
Promotional info
Katherine Kingston is a multi-published, award-winning author of more than a dozen novels, novellas and short stories. She has a wild and crazy imagination that she sets free to rummage through the past, present, future and other worlds entirely. That imagination comes back with a lovely assortment of ideas for characters, plots, settings and events. The result is stories in many different settings, ranging from the medieval period to the far future to places that don’t actually exist except in her fantasies. They all include a sizzling hot romance, usually with kinky elements.
Author website / blog: http://katherinekingston.com


Suburban Dominants #1: Dominant Boys of Summer: Julie is in love with Dave. She’s sure of that. But if he really is the man for her, why is her sexual response to him so tepid? She’s afraid she’s frigid, and Dave deserves better than that. Dave’s best friend Nick guesses at a different answer and proposes a way to test out his theory. When he joins them for an explosive and erotic beach weekend, Julie will learn some extraordinary things about herself. She’s never really understood her secret yearning to be mastered and dominated. Accepting that need and using it to build a relationship on that basis challenges her. Accepting that Nick is a part of the relationship with Dave adds another layer of complexity to an already complicated situation.


No comments:

Post a Comment