Friday 2 August 2013

Special Guest: Draven St James



 Hi all, 

Today's special guest is Draven St James. She has some great answers to my nosy questions and of course she also has a fabulous new book to present, Grey's Hidden Fire. 

Hi Draven, welcome to my blog and thanks for being my guest. Here's some coffee to get us started on
 
The business ones

Please give us a short introduction about yourself

I've always preferred to be on the periphery at any event. I enjoy people watching and using the little quirks I see to create my characters. Writing has always been my passion. Ever since I read my first book all I wanted to do was to be able to put to the page all of my stories.
I've travelled a great deal but have always called the Northwest my home. I have two degrees from the University of Oregon, one in psychology and one in English. Both have helped me greatly in building and polishing my writing. My life's ambition is to be able to spend my days creating new worlds for readers to have fun and get lost in.

What genre(s) do you write in and why?
My current book, Grey's Hidden Fire, is LGBT, M/M, contemporary. However, there is a m/m shifter series on the horizon.

Tell us about your latest release
Grey's Hidden Fire is about losing the boundaries and constraints that keep people from loving who they want to love. It's about the passion and heat that can be uncovered in the most interesting of places when one looks beyond gender. Mostly it is about discovery. The excitement and thrill that comes from seeing someone and feeling a soul deep connection that ignites desire which leads to fantastic sex and love, of course. J

Do you need a special setting to write in or do you have a ceremony to get you in the mood? What does it look like?
I'm more of a nocturnal writer. Beyond that, it doesn't really matter what location I'm working at. The only ceremony involved is having either coffee or tea and sitting with my laptop to wait for the words to come out and play.

Describe your feelings when you learnt that your first book was accepted for publication.
Shock, elation, disbelief then back to shock and onto complete joy. I wanted to get started on the editing that very second!

Has the release of your first book changed anything in your personal life? If so, what?
It hasn't really changed anything beyond limiting the time I have for reading. I am falling behind in all the books I would normally have devoured. It is worth it though!

Where do you find inspiration?
I find inspiration in my friends and family. They are a consistent source of information and just plain entertainment. A sure fire cure for writer's block. I also listen to a lot of music. Depending on the scene I'm writing I have different stations set up on Pandora.

Who is your favourite character and why?
Out of my own books? I'd have to say Grey. He is very masculine but there is a vulnerability, which comes out when he has to assess his attraction to Mica. It doesn't hurt he's every wicked fantasy rolled up into one delicious package and that he is someone who'd kick ass if one of his friends were threatened.

A favourite line from one of your books
Umm…every line? I can't say I have a favourite because after so many edits and reviews I am kind of attached to all of them. 

Your favourite drink and food when writing?
Coffee…coffee…and oh yeah, coffee.

The nosy ones

How much of the real “you” is in your stories?
I would say a big part of the real "me" is in my stories. At least they are a reflection of my life experiences. All of the interactions I've had in my life have been put to use in every book that I write. It is my goal to sew together the pieces of my reality and create a new world from those scattered moments.

What’s the silliest error in a book you’ve submitted?
I don't know about silly, but my love of the word "that" has been destroyed.

The steamiest scene from your books
While all the scenes are pretty steamy. The one that I had the most fun writing was the one where Mica describes his fantasy to Grey. It was full of passion and discovery. Grey's curiosity about Mica's desire for him and Mica's retelling of his sexual, sensual private musings. The intensely steamy nature lies in the knowledge that someone doesn't just desire you when they are physically with you, but desires you in all their most intimate of moments.

Favourite comfort food?
My comfort food is definitely gumbo. I have some strong southern roots and there is nothing like a good chicken and sausage gumbo to make things right in the world.

A person you admire
I admire my two sisters and their lovely wives. They are phenomenal women who live fully in the now. They are strong, beautiful, intelligent and amazingly creative individuals. Without their support and humorous commentary this journey to publication wouldn't have been the same.

If you could ask any person in the world one question of your choice, who would it be and what would you ask them?
I think I'd want to talk to Shakespeare and ask him how many of the plays, we consider his works, were actually written by him.
 
The fast ones

Favourite colour? My favourite color is royal blue.

Favourite pet? Sugar glider.

Dog or cat? Dog, Husky to be precise.

Coffee or tea? Coffee with vanilla creamer, but six pump soy chai latte if possible.

Quickie or candles? Depends on the moment.

Hunky or chunky? Hunky.

Suit & tie or jeans & boots? Jeans and boots, or perhaps a firefighter uniform.

Walk in the park or chat over cocktails? Walk in the park to include a picnic with cocktails.




Thank you so much for the interview, Draven, and now let's take a look at your new books - did I hear firefighters???
Grey's Hidden Fire


Grey's entire life is wrapped around his job as a firefighter. It is all he has ever wanted. That is until his new co-worker Mica Cruz saunters through the door with his smoldering dark looks and dimpled grin. Suddenly he finds himself wanting to get to know what Mica looks like out of his gear and between the sheets.

Mica has one rule…keep his work life and his personal life separate. It was easy enough to follow until he meets Grey and finds that his rule can't stand up to the fire that Grey ignites. There's one big thing standing in the way of all of his lust filled musings. Grey is straight.

In a profession where being gay is often kept quiet Grey must come to terms with his growing attraction to Mica. How much is he willing to sacrifice? Can they come together before someone's hatred threatens to destroy them both?

Buy links:
Loose ID: http://www.loose-id.com/featured/whatshot/grey-s-hidden-fire.html
Amazon: http://www.amazon.com/Greys-Hidden-Fire-ebook/dp/B00DUHRNDC/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1374129342&sr=8-1&keywords=Grey%27s+Hidden+Fire
ARe: https://www.allromanceebooks.com/product-grey039shiddenfire-1228820-149.html


Author bio:
Draven St. James is a born and raised Oregonian. She has travelled extensively in search of mischief and mayhem to fill her books. Her ventures have been quite successful in inspiring a wealth of stories. Of course at the end of the day, coffee within reach, laptop at the ready is where she finds her peace.

Author website: www.dravenstjames.wordpress.com

No comments:

Post a Comment